Top 7 self-defense moves every woman should know| Stoic Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Martial Arts Classes in PANTEGO and Arlington Tx.
Self-defense is a critical life skill for women of all ages. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, which is conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, 1 in 6 American women will be the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. That’s a statistic that we can’t ignore.
While it’s impossible to predict when or where an attack may happen, there are some things you can do to lower your risk of becoming a victim. One of the best things you can do is to learn some basic self-defense moves.
These may not be jiu-jitsu, but they sure do pack a punch…
- Knee to the groin: This move is effective because it targets one of the most sensitive areas on a man’s body. It’s also a good move to use if you are shorter than your attacker and can’t reach his face or eyes. To deliver this strike, bring your knee up quickly and forcefully into your attacker’s groin area. Aim for the middle, where his thighs come together.
- Elbow strike: An elbow strike can be just as effective as a punch and is easier to deliver if you are caught off guard. To throw an elbow strike, simply extend your arm and drive your elbow into your attacker’s face, throat, or solar plexus (the nerve center in the chest).
- Heel palm strike: A heel palm strike is another good option if you are caught off guard. To deliver this blow, cup your hand and make a fist, except for your thumb, which should be extended along the side of your hand like a “stop” sign. Now, quickly thrust your heel palm upwards into your attacker’s nose or chin.
- Finger jab to the eyes: This move is especially useful if your attacker is bigger and stronger than you are. It only takes a small amount of pressure to cause serious damage to someone’s eyes, so this move can give you enough time to get away or deliver other strikes. To execute this move, make a fist with your hand and extend your index and middle fingers. Quickly thrust these two fingers into your attacker’s eyes—aiming for the soft tissue beneath his brow bone—and then quickly pull them out again..
- Head-butt: A head-butt requires impeccable timing but can be very effective if executed correctly. To perform a head-butt, wait until your attacker is close enough so that his head is within range. Then quickly duck down and thrust your head upwards into his nose or chin. Be sure to use the top of your head for maximum impact..
- Bite: Biting may not be considered “ladylike, �� but it can be an effective way to defend yourself. As with the head-butt, timing is everything when executing this move. Wait until your attacker is close enough and then quickly bite him—hard—on any exposed skin. This will likely surprise and startle him long enough for you to get away or deliver other strikes..
- Run away: Sometimes the best defense is simply to get away from an attacker as fast as possible. If you have the opportunity to do so, take it! Run in the opposite direction of traffic so that drivers can see you more easily if you need help. Yell “fire!” instead of “help!” as people are more likely to respond to fire. And finally, don’t waste time gathering up personal belongings—just go!
- YELL- Use your voice, be vocal, be vulgar, and be aggressive with your mouth. Empower yourself, raise your blood pressure, release that adrenaline and get ready for literally “The Fight FOR your life.”.
Jiu-Jitsu classes vs. One-Off Techniques.
I can’t talk about self-defense and martial arts without talking about Brazilian jujitsu. I encourage everyone to develop some type of self-defense skills, which often happens via attending martial arts classes with coaches and instructors who understand.
At Stoic Brazilian jiu-jitsu, located in Mansfield TX – Arlington TX we have black belt instructors who work in groups with our students. At our academy, we have fun while building self-confidence and new skills that hone mental strength and leave our students feeling empowered With benefits such as personal development, self-esteem, self-discipline, weight loss, and motivation who wouldn’t want to learn jiu-jitsu.
This martial art school offers classes for kids and adults, or as we call them sometimes “adult children” because we have fun while we workout. If you are in the Arlington area, come and experience a martial arts academy like no other. Get in the best shape via our bjj training or one of our other fitness workouts. We know that if you come in we can help you reach your fitness goals while build confidence you need to master yourself and whatever personal success goals you may have.
Classes are for kids, children of all ages, and even adults. Our instructors are black belts and are also members of the local community who have trained and competed. If the price doesn’t get you in, the level of instruction and professionalism showed surely will. You owe it to yourself to come to take advantage of the 30-day free trial.
Come learn at Stoic Brazilian Jiu JItsu…..
Maybe you don’t want the commitment of training, and maybe your kids are too busy to commit to martial arts classes. Learning even just a few basic self-defense moves could one day save your life. While there is no guaranteed way to prevent an attack from happening, knowing how to defend yourself gives you a much better chance of getting away safely if an attack does occur.
If Martial arts are not something that interests you, I recommend you check out AJ Tucker located in Mansfield, Tx. He specializes in self-defense courses for women and has an extensive history, knowledge, and training seminars. Here is his FB link and his business website for those interested.